Dr. Amelia Tower Highlights The Various Benefits Of Ultrasound Imaging In Cancer.
Decatur, TX – Mar 21, 2020 – A breast ultrasound uses sound waves to image the breast. It is a non-invasive imaging test used as a follow-up after finding an abnormality in the breast through mammography, clinical breast exam, or breast MRI. A doctor may discover a lump in the breast and will conduct an ultrasound to determine if the lump is solid (cancerous) or filled with fluid (benign cyst). An ultrasound can also help to assess nipple discharge, evaluate breast inflammation, monitor breast implants, and much more.
“A breast ultrasound procedure takes about 15 to 30 minutes, and it offers many benefits to the patient,” explained Dr. Tower. “The ultrasound can complement other screening tests to ensure accurate outcomes. It helps to guide surgeons during breast biopsies to make sure accurate samples are taken. It also guides the needle during the aspiration of a cyst when removing fluids.”
Here are some of the benefits of breast ultrasounds;
- They produce high contrast images that help distinguish cysts from solid lumps that may cause cancer. They can also locate lumps that you cannot feel (nonpalpable masses).
- Ultrasounds are painless procedures.
- Ultrasounds help doctors to distinguish lymph nodes from malignant tumors.
- They can detect any changes in dense breasts. When used alongside mammograms, ultrasounds help to increase the detection of early breast cancer in patients with dense breast tissue.
- Ultrasounds do not use radiation. This makes them ideal tools for pregnant or breastfeeding women or those with breast implants and those aged 30 years and below.
- An ultrasound is affordable compared to other imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography.
“Before having an ultrasound, you should talk to your doctor to understand the details of the procedure and what it means in your case,” continued Dr. Tower. "However, regardless of the purpose of the ultrasound, you should know that the procedure is the same. It is a painless procedure with no after-effects to the patient. After the test, you can resume your normal activities as soon as possible.”
About North Texas Cancer Center at Wise
North Texas Cancer Center at Wise, a division of Choice Cancer Care, is now operating as the Cancer Center at Wise Regional and is one of the most renowned cancer treatment centers in Texas. The center unites some of the best cancer doctors and surgeons, medical oncologists and radiation oncologists. Our expert team delivers superior cancer treatment in Texas, with the best results available.
North Texas Cancer Center at Wise County
2010 S. Ben Merritt Drive, Ste A
Decatur, TX 76234