Foods that Can Reduce the Risk of Lung Cancer
Dr. Gregory Echthighlights some of the goods that can reduce the risk of lung cancer.
Decatur, TX, July 3, 2019 – Lung cancer claims many lives all over the world. Both smokers and non-smokers are at risk of developing the disease. Other than quitting smoking, a healthy diet can also help to reduce the risk of lung cancer.
“Exercise and proper diet intake can lower your risk of developing lung cancer,” explained Dr. Echt. “Fruits and vegetables have been proven to protect the body against lung cancer or halt any tumor growth.”
Here are foods that can minimize the risk of lung cancer:
- Kales, beans, spinach and foods rich in folate – Smoking and alcohol consumption drains the body’s folate. Foods that are rich in folate protect body cells from tobacco carcinogens. Research has revealed that smokers who recently quit can take diets with folate and lower their lung cancer risk by forty per cent.
- Carrots, red bell peppers, papayas, peaches and oranges – These are carotenoid foods (an orange antioxidant pigment) known as beta-cryptoxanthin that protects smokers. A study confirmed that diets which have high beta-cryptoxanthin could lower lung cancer risk.
- Cruciferous vegetables – Cruciferous vegetables include brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli and more have sulforaphane, a potent cancer-fighting substance that protects the cells from cancer. They also contain indole-3-carbinol that repairs any damage caused to the cells by carcinogens. According to research, eating more brussels sprouts and broccoli can lower lung cancer risk by 40 per cent.
- Mackerel, sardines, salmon, and foods high in omega-3 fatty acids – Eating fish that has high omega-3 fatty acids helps to minimize lung cancer risk.
- Garlic – Garlic is known to have anticancer effects. Consuming raw garlic twice a week reduces the risk of lung cancer by 44 per cent. Raw garlic has a compound known as diallyl sulphide that acts on potential cancer cells.
“While you are observing your diet, you can also get screened to find lung cancer before it shows any symptoms,” continued Dr. Echt. “Those at high risk should speak to their doctors to arrange for early screening.”
About North Texas Cancer Center at Wise
North Texas Cancer Center at Wise, a division of Choice Cancer Care, is now operating as the Cancer Center at Wise Regional and is one of the most renowned cancer treatment centers in Texas. The center unites some of the best cancer doctors and surgeons, medical oncologists and radiation oncologists. Our expert team delivers superior cancer treatment in Texas, with the best results available.
North Texas Cancer Center at Wise County
2010 S. Ben Merritt Drive, Ste A
Decatur, TX 76234